Think about how often you use a ladder at your place of employment. If this is something that’s a big part of your day, it’s imperative to focus on the safety tips you can follow.
Even if you have many years of experience using a ladder at work, it only takes a single mistake to cause a serious accident.
Here are some tips that can help you prevent a workplace ladder accident:
- Examine the ladder for defects and damage before stepping on it.
- Never climb a ladder if you feel dizzy or too tired to do so.
- Never use a ladder in inclement weather like heavy rain or strong wind.
- Always wear slip-resistant shoes.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times.
- Never stand on the top rung of a ladder and stretch to reach your destination.
- Don’t place a ladder close to heavy pedestrian or vehicular traffic.
- Never use a ladder at the same time as another worker is using it.
- Place the ladder on firm and level ground.
- Never place a ladder in front of a door.
- Use the right size ladder for the job.
Yes, this is a lot to remember. However, every one of these tips will help keep you safe on the job.
If you are part of a workplace accident involving a ladder, you need to call for help and inform your employer what happened.
If your injuries will keep you away from work in the future, you shouldn’t wait to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits. You’ll need the money to get by financially as you recover.