Your life changed forever on that short drive to the shopping center. It was nothing you did, rather the actions of distracted driver led to the fiery crash that caused severe burns on more than half of your body.
With a strong will to live and expert medical attention, you battle through the pain and suffering, knowing that your recovery will take a long time and require many steps. The complications and challenges will be many. This all happened because of the negligence of another driver.
Shock and psychological problems
If burns are severe enough, doctors will treat your wounds through skin grafts and plastic surgery. A burn victim likely will have to undergo treatment at a burn center. Expect emotional support and physical therapy as well.
These are just some of the challenges faced by burn victims. Here are additional physical and mental health complications that may surface:
- Respiratory system damage: Smoke inhalation can cause severe damage to a person’s lungs, airways and blood vessels. This may lead to permanent lung and breathing problems, potentially resulting in patients to rely on an oxygen tank.
- Shock: Limited blood circulation means not enough blood is getting through a person’s body, causing damage to organs and tissues. The heart, kidneys, lungs and liver may shut down.
- Damage to the eyes: Burns to cornea may lead to blurred vision, infections, scarring, permanent damage and blindness.
- Infections including sepsis: The presence of bacteria brings infections. Sepsis may surface as the body’s toxic response, potentially leading to organ failure, tissue damage and death.
- Psychological problems: This would include depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Thoughts of the crash may haunt victims for a long time. Even the slightest reminder of this traumatic event may put them in a downward spiral.
You understand the challenges you face. Now, it is time to confront them again and again.
Push away those obstacles
The challenges and complications related to severe burn injuries are many. A burn victim may have permanent physical scars that are visible to others. However, they also may have permanent mental and emotional scars that few know about. Getting the right treatment will help you overcome obstacles that you thought were impenetrable.